1. Health

Lost Libido Post Hysterectomy

By April 28, 2005

No Sex Drive!
From the Women's Health Forums: "I had an abdominal hysterectomy back in September. I kept both ovaries so I am not experiencing any menopausal symptoms. My problem is my libido or sex drive is gone and it is really bothering me. Has anyone experienced a lack of sex drive? I would appreciate any input or suggestions. "
Has Hysterectomy Affected Your Sex Drive?
Comments
August 5, 2006 at 8:45 pm
(1) rose says:

Yes – I unfortunately had the same experience. I wonder if it is partly due to the losss of my cervix also. There are alot of nerves in the cervix and the cervix is quite responsive during sex, particularly an orgasm. I find that my orgasms have lost considerable intensity. The only thing that I have found that has helped the most is testosterone. It increases the sex drive as well as strengthens the orgasm. I have tried both the oral Andriol as well as the testosterone gel. I prefer the gel. The ovaries as well as the uterus produce testosterone. Although you may be within the normal range for a female, you might benefit from a boost up to the upper range of normal. Check with your doctor. Don’t give up. I also tried natural progesterone cream and Tribulus prior to the testosterone. It did help a little but not quite enough. An immediate response to the treatment was an uplift in my mood. Good luck and keep trying.

August 19, 2006 at 7:16 pm
(2) Marta says:

I too have experienced the same lack of sex drive, not only don’t I have any sex drive but I don’t even like to be touched. I tried primerin and effexor but neither worked. My doctor does not want to give me testosterone but I am going to try again. It is driving both me and my husband crazy.

January 7, 2008 at 1:01 pm
(3) Kathy says:

I experienced that too at first. (You didn’t mention if you still have your cervix.)I went round and round with my doctor to only have my uterus removed-nothing else had any problems-and I won, so I kept my ovaries and cervix. At first the “Big O” was a little one, but now that I’m more than a year post-op (November 2006 surgery date), I’ve found it’s almost all the way back. So, you and your partner just need to relax and be patient and realize it’s not anyone’s fault. Some things just take more time to heal.

March 5, 2008 at 12:06 pm
(4) Marianne says:

I had a hysterectomy per laproscope in Oct. 06 due to large painful fibroids. Kept my cervix and ovaries. My Uterus and tubes were removed. Initially, my ovaries failed, but seemed to rebound according to FSH results. My libido is low now, but I’ve been able to have orgasms in spite of this. However, they aren’t nearly as intense as they used to be. I just keep hoping that this will change.

March 7, 2008 at 9:07 am
(5) Elisa says:

I had a complete hysterectomy in Oct 2006. And my sex drive is completly gone. My husband thinks that I am having an affair, he doesn’t belive me. Sorry could not help you.

May 15, 2008 at 10:35 am
(6) Robert Ferguson says:

My wife (48) had a complete Hysterectomy a
couple of years ago, and has lost her
sex drive completely. Also she often doesn’t like to be touched, she has mood swings, and hot flashes, along with a complete loss of energy. Our doctor has tried everything including
testostrone. The latest is ESTRATEST H.S. which does’nt seem to do much either. Any suggestions, PLEASE!!!

May 15, 2008 at 11:02 am
(7) Maggie Brown says:

Robert,

I went through a lot of those problems after my hysterectomy. Estratest was the last synthetic hormone I took — it did help but not as much as the compounded estrogen and testosterone that I now take. The synthetic estrogens caused so many unwanted side effects from breast discomfort to weight gain — I have had none of those problems in the over 5 years that I’ve been on the bio-identical compounded hormones. Your wife might also want to try some progesterone compound — actually there is a good OTC one called ProGest that you can buy at most health food stores (I got it at Whole Foods Market. Later I used the compounded progesterone, as well. It may take some talking with your doctor or maybe even a new doctor to get prescribed the compounded hormones, but it is well worth the effort!

June 22, 2009 at 5:38 pm
(8) Kat says:

I too have had an hysterectomy and found that bit by bit my sex drive was lacking. Went to the doctor and she said “well that happens at your age doesn’t it”. What a b—-! I was so upset. I am only 58, 57 at the time. Talk about put you down and kick you in the teeth. My husband is so undersanding but I feel that part of our wonderful relationship is finished although I still love him so much. I feel that I am half the woman that he married.

July 14, 2009 at 11:55 pm
(9) Bec says:

Please help if you can.
im 16 and im currently in a relationship, and when we get intimate i cant seem to orgasm. its not thats the sex isnt good because it is,and the intamacy is there. but i have never really had an orgasm. i dunno what to do and i think its my fault. please help…

September 26, 2009 at 2:04 pm
(10) L Smith says:

My wife had an emergency hysterectomy 3 years ago immediately after giving birth, due to a complication with a fibroid. (this saved her life). She has been depressed most of the time since (this was our first and only child, we are now both 40+). I cannot convince her none of this was her fault, she blames herself sometimes and can only think of our son on his own in years to come when we are long gone. We managed occasional sex until about 8 months ago, when I thought & hoped she had turned the corner, then the news about that girl in the US? having sextuplets with fertility treatment, even though she already had several already just seemed to knock her back again. I find it so difficult to talk to her as she just gets so upset and it it really tough to see her like this (and I just don’t want to cause any more upset.).
Any suggestions on how I can help further would be so much appreciated.

October 16, 2009 at 6:07 pm
(11) Linda says:

I had a total hysterectomy 9 years ago due to endometriosis w/ cysts symptoms. Right after my hysterectomy they automaticly put me on harmones – after 3 yrs I still couldn’t get regulated. My primary Dr took me off the harmones. I thought I was just going crazy till I read the comments on this site. I too am one who could care less about ever having sex or being touched. I am so embarrased. I love my husband and he has been so patient but it doesn’t help your marriage being like this. Last time I seen a Gyn she had no other options other than harmones and then couldn’t promise me that they would work. If anyone out there has any suggestions please let us all know. I’m only 58 and I do want ti have a healthy sex life.

April 15, 2010 at 10:06 pm
(12) Coleen says:

I am supposed to have a hysterectomy in the next few weeks, due to hemoraging and fibroids. I am 66yrs old, alive with still a great libido. I am scared to loose my feminity with everything that comes with it.

August 17, 2010 at 3:40 pm
(13) Brenda Lyle says:

I had a total hysterectomy 7 years ago because I was told I had a fibroid tumor. I lost all my sex drive and hate to be touched now. I’m not complaining about that though. It really doesn’t bother me. Now I focus on much more important things. For me it changed my perspective on life.

December 28, 2010 at 11:41 pm
(14) Shauna says:

I had a full abdominal hysterectomy 4 months ago and have completely lost my libido . I was diagnosed with Endodemetrial cancer and therefore had the hysterectomy ! I`m 37 and don`t even wanna be touched it`s driving myself and my boyfriend nuts !