1. Health

Does Testosterone Improve Sex Drive?

By June 15, 2006

Voices of Hysterectomy Forums: Has anyone had any luck with testosterone improving their sex drive? I had a complete hysterectomy 3 years ago today. I am 38 years old, and until my hysterectomy had a strong sex drive. I currently take estratest, which is great for hot flashes, night sweats, etc. I sleep great, never wake-up during the night, never have hot flashes. But as far as sex, I never want it, nor need it. I have to make myself have sex with my wonderful husband. I never have trouble having a orgasm, I just don't want to have sex anymore. I am currently taking avlimil which is not helping the problem. I would really like some pointers or advice." Have you used testosterone?
Comments
June 20, 2006 at 8:13 am
(1) stacey says:

yes you have to use it with two other medicine’s {premarin vag. cream and yohimbine }ask your urologist for a script and it will take about a year or two or so to kick in

June 20, 2006 at 10:39 am
(2) Doris says:

I’m 66 & took testosterone, by injection every 3 mths, a few years ago, it worked great & almost immediately, the only thing is I got so much unwanted hair, mainly on my face, I was on premarin, & paxal. I did gain some weight, but I think it was from the paxal,I quit the paxal, & testo, 2 years ago, right back to the same oh! no desire.
I also had a hysterctomy when I was 38.
Don’t give up, good luck.

June 20, 2006 at 5:36 pm
(3) Jan says:

Estratest worked great for me for several years after hysterectomy. Later I used estrogen patch and compounded testosterone cream–great results also-almost immediately with both. Now I’m looking for an alternative that my oncologist will ok after breast cancer last year. Any ideas? The combination of pain from not enough estrogen and not enough desire and pleasure from not enough testosterone has really been hard on my love life with my husband. If anyone has been in a similar situation and found something that worked well, I would really appreciate any advice you can give. Thanks.

February 17, 2007 at 1:48 pm
(4) mariann says:

I am 62 years old. I had a complete hysterectomy after breast cancer in2003. Before that i took estratest for years. It was wonderful as far as libido.My skin was also firmer.Now my marraige has been reduced to a room mate status.I have no sex drive and seem to be more combatant as far as arguing with my husband. I have been waiting for the testosterone patch to be approved in the us as it is in other countries.By the time the fda approves, i’ll probably be divorced. Does anyone know of off shore sources for the patch or other testosterone treatments? I don’t care if it is illegal, after 35 years with my husband, i wish to enjoy a few more years as a real wife to him. any help would be appreciated.

February 17, 2007 at 1:48 pm
(5) mariann says:

February 17, 2007 at 1:48 pm
(6) mariann says:

February 18, 2007 at 8:25 am
(7) James Kronefield says:

My wife also had a complete hysterectomy and we had the same problems. As far as I know she started taking some testosterone like pills and I stopped complaining. :)

April 24, 2007 at 1:30 pm
(8) Karen Denine says:

I am 55 and was lucky enough to retire early with my husband. The only problem is that I have had about 4 too many illnesses and 10 to many pills over the years that sucked my sex drive dry. My husband was having problems too and he started using a liquid aphrodisiac called African Fly. It worked for him and it is supposed to work for women. It worked for me and the only reason why I took it is because it is all natural and is a liquid and not a pill. I don’t want to see another pill in my life.

August 27, 2009 at 5:14 pm
(9) cathy says:

I had a hysterectomy at 40, 8 years ago. Had to have estrogen and progesterone right away due to many miserable symptoms. But I would never take anything except all natural bio-identical hormones. It has worked great for me for 8 years. Just recently have added a testoserone to rx. It seems to have increased my libido.

Cathy

September 4, 2009 at 10:13 pm
(10) merry says:

I had a total hysterectomy at 40(I am 62 now) and lost all sex desire.My poor husband deserves a medal for staying with me. I was on premerin for many years,but remained symptomatic.I stopped all hormones cold turkey for about 2 years. I was not a happy women. Started bioidentical estrogen,progesteron, and testosterone cream and got my life back. My husband and I are in our 60s and have great sex 2 times a wk. He is using testosterone cream as well.So go for it. The bioidentical hormones are compounded and are by prescription,but have no resemblence to the synthetic pharmacutical hormones.The testosterone is what did it for me. I tried the estrogen progestone cream and never really got a sex life until I added the testoterone cream. Best of luck to all

October 10, 2009 at 7:12 pm
(11) Paul M says:

I have wondered forever if there was anything out there that could help me in this area. I’ve had a low sex drive for what seems like forever.

I agree with Mark that the Dr. Max Powers HGH Spray This gives me the boost I wish I could have found years ago. Here’s some of the changes that have happened in the past month.

Old me: didn’t think of sex that often. New me: thinking about it often almost daily.

Old me: often thought of sex a chore. New me: Can’t wait for it to happen.
Old me: Didn’t enjoy oral. New me: Wishes he has a longer tongue.

Old me: Performed oral twice a year: New me: I give it to her every time.

Old me: Would never think to so some things we haven’t done in a while: New me: Wants to go back to those things and improve on them.

And I’ve had no side effects either. But we’re all different so I can’t speak for everyone. But give it a shot, what have you got to lose.

October 27, 2009 at 12:41 am
(12) Bev says:

I had a complete hysterectomy in 1998 because of ovarian cancer. I have had no desire since then. The doc gave me estratest but didn’t work with the sex drive. She finally gave me testostorone. I rub in on my thighs. I was suppose to do it everyday. My husband said it was way to much. I was wanting sex almost every day. Now I rub it on every third day and he has settled to 2/3 times a week and we are almost 60. It has given me orgasms that are stronger and longer than I have ever experienced even in my 20′s. Give it at least a try..

January 7, 2010 at 9:32 pm
(13) Kathryn says:

I have taken Estratest since loosing my sex drive after my 3rd child – and I am taking anti-depression meds for my OCD. My doc recently prescribed another drug to counteract the effects of estratest causing the lining of my uterus to be so thick – ( my monthly cycles are extremely heavy.) I hope I am not on meds unnecessarily – taking one because of what the other one is doing.

February 2, 2010 at 8:27 pm
(14) Jason P says:

I strongly advise against the use of Testosterone if you do not require it for medical purposes, as with my case.
Im now 39 and have been on Testosterone for 21 years now because my body lacks the chemistry to make enough of my own, they call it Klienfelters syndrone.
As A boy it went un-noticed but I had learning difficulties,I just thought that I was dumb-I was wrong having insufficent testosterone affects everything.
When I hit my teens their was no developement of facial hair,muscle tissue,or pubic hair and by the time I reached 18 I new something was wrong and seeked medical help.
Testosterone helped me in many ways first with facial and body hair then sex drive(I will come back to that one) and then with muscle mass,it actually seems like im a new person.For some reason I look in my late 20′s thanks to testosterone.

The part you have all been waiting for !.
Testosterone does increase your sex drive(not sure if this is the same case for woman) it increases it so much that I think about sex all the time,it drives me crazy.
If my wife has her period that week I find myself masterbating up to four times a day,Iwe have intense sex I can go for ages and up to 4 times a night to the point of my wife becoming extremly exhausted.

Testosterone has infected my marriage to the point of taking to much notice of everything in a short skirt!,or with breasts.

Testosterone gives me bad mood swings,not voilent but my wife knows when im due for my next shot.

I have regular injections 2 per month to keep me balanced,if I dont have enough I start to become depressed or loose my sex drive.

Four years ago I had to come off my injections for 3 months to have a biopsy to see if there was any sperm in my testicles,there wasn’t any but the side affects were that I totally lost my sex drive, for two and a half of those months.

So what would you do in my situation?

If I came off the medication I would loose my wife because I wouldnt have any interest in sex.

Stay on it and think like a sex maniac all the time?

Or take antidepressants to try to balance it.

Either way im stuffed.

Please think twice before taking this medication!

Jason P.

November 1, 2011 at 1:20 am
(15) Helen says:

I’m 79 and had a complete hysterectomy when I was 47
because of fibroids and severe bleeding. I have taken
Premarin most of the years since that time. My doctor has
also prescribed methyltestosterone, 10 mg. per day and
cautioned me to take it no more often than needed to
provide orgasm during sex. I found that taking one tablet six days a week was about right. I am married and wanted
to keep marital relations healthy.

Methyltestosterone 10-mg. tablets are expensive, even
when purchased using Medicare Part D insurance, and
sometimes are difficult to find at the pharmacy. I would
like to try testosterone cream, since one woman said it
was highly effective.

I once tried bioidentical testosterone but did not find it
useful. Since then, I have questioned the integrity of the pharmacy where I purchased this product. Perhaps some-where else there is a “bioidentical” product that would work well.

To summarize, 10 mg. methyltestosterone (Methitest or
Android) as a tablet taken six days a week has been very effective for me over a number of years, and I take it with 0.9 mg. Premarin. My gynecologist sees it as an uncon-ventional treatment method but goes along with my wishes when I have my annual “well woman exam.”