1. Health

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

By September 12, 2008

Most women experience abnormal uterine bleeding at least once during their reproductive years. The most common times that women experience heavy menstrual periods are during the first few years of menstruation during adolescence and during the final two to three years of menstruating before menopause... read more

More:
Women Talk About Abnormal Uterine Bleeding
Top 10 Causes of Heavy Menstrual Bleeding
How Do I Know If I Have Abnormal Uterine Bleeding?

Comments
October 4, 2007 at 12:49 am
(1) Jos says:

I scheduled an appointment to see my doctor because I had been bleeding nonstop since August. I went in to see her a week ago and she didn’t listen to me and shooed me out the door.

My period started off as a thick brown discharge with pink tissue & small black clots. It then went to a VERY heavy flow followed by shooting pains in my cervix, extreme lower back pain causing discomfort and the inability to sleep. On an off day around 3 weeks ago when there was no sign of blood I wanted to resume my normal sex life with my husband and we had sex. We had to stop after 5 minutes because blood started to POUR out of me, he was covered as well as I. I was in serious pain and had to sleep it off.

When I went to see my doctor she refused to give me a pap smear or do a physical. She said there was no point in doing so because I was bleeding, but I told her I was there because I WAS bleeding. She told me to call and reschedule in 3-4 weeks once I had stopped bleeding. There would have been no point to my appointment if I had not been bleeding.

All of this started after not having a period for 5 months. I had been having unprotected sex with my husband prior to the start of the bleeding (we weren’t actively trying to get pregnant but we weren’t against the idea). I last took a pregnancy test a month ago and it was negative. We had been having unprotected sex for a year now and I have not gotten pregnant, when I got pregnant with my first and only child it happened relatively quickly.

I have been having nausea, insomnia, BAD backpain, heavy bleeding, brown discharge, a terrible smell, and abdominal cramping. She refuses to help me and because I’m a military dependent I cannot switch my doctor to a civilian. I previously went to a woman’s clinic in my home state and they routinely gave me pap smears when there was signs of bleeding so I don’t understand why this doctor refused to. Perhaps because she is disgusted with blood as she made crude faces as I explained about the bleeding after I had sex with my husband and made me feel awkward and uncomfortable by her looks of disgust. I asked her what it could be and she immediately changed the subject. With the blood I have been having extra body hair too and I told her how embarassing it was and how I had to bleach it, she looked at me and said “Gurrrl, you don’t need to be bleaching your arms!”. I was hoping she could have prescribed something for all the extra androgens in my body or something to stop the blood or something to help with the EXTREME back pain. I have not had a good night’s sleep since the start of August. I can’t keep living like this and I don’t know what to do.

Can anyone help me?

September 19, 2008 at 7:24 am
(2) eunice says:

Hi I can’t help with a diagnosis but I would strongly advise you to attempt to see another doctor. Is their another military Dr. you could switch to? Is their someone you can go to who has access to someone in authority who can insist on you seeing another Dr.? Or do you feel strong enough to insist on it?

Another possible route would be to be visiting a relative and then being so poorly that you have to visit Accident and Emergency where of course you will be given some help and diagnosis.

I really wish you good luck with your problem

September 22, 2008 at 11:10 pm
(3) Esme says:

Jos, you posted this a year ago. Did you ever get your issue resolved? Your symptoms sound very familiar to anyone who has had fibroids — benign tumors that grow in the uterus. 30% of women have fibroids.

Fibroids can sometimes be felt during a pelvic exam, but to accurately diagnose them an ultrasound is needed. If you want to get pregnant, you’ll probably need the fibroids removed, but otherwise they can often be treated with oral contraceptives, which bring the bleeding back under control.

I lived with symptoms similar to you for 2 years because I didn’t have health insurance. Finally I went in to a gynecologist who has been great. She did the ultrasound and a biopsy, found that I had two fibroids, and put me on the pill to control my periods. The first prescription worked for about 5 months and then didn’t seem to be helping, so we tried another that was a little stronger. I now have regular periods with minimal cramping, and occasional spotting — but it’s so minor and I otherwise am happy to have my life back.

Sorry to hear that your gynecologist is unhelpful, but keep trying.

Hope this helps.

February 4, 2009 at 12:41 pm
(4) Heather says:

I’ve been having the same type of symptoms except I started out with foggy urine that had an odd smell. A couple of days after the cloudiness in my urine went away I started spotting and having bad lower back pain. This is after ending my period ten days prior. The second day into having back pain and spotting the pain in my back got worse and I started bleeding like I would be on my period. The back pain I have been experiencing has gotten worse and it hurts extremely bad and I am still bleeding which brings great concern to me. I have no health Insurance and haven’t yet seen a doctor. Because I have no Insurance I have been avoiding seeing the doctor. Does anyone have ANY helpful diagnosis or help on this case?? Thank you!

March 17, 2009 at 4:49 pm
(5) Terrie says:

Heather did you ever find out what was wrong. I am having the same problem. I had a ultrasound and it showed nothing it was a vaginal ultrasound. I am very nauseous, lots of lower back pain, heavy bleeding with clots and its not time for my period I was a week early. I am pouring bright red blood and they can’t seem to find out whats wrong with me either. Had a papsmear don’t have the results on that yet.Let me know if you found out something.

March 27, 2009 at 12:47 am
(6) Sadie says:

This is distrubing to read, I certainly hope we all don’t live in the same city. The same thing is happening to me. The pain, blood, pee, etc. I had a normal period then continued to spot until I started bleeding brown thick liquid. This evolved into clots. It has since tappered off (it’s been a month). The doctor refused to give me a pap but sent me for blood work and ultrasound. If I find out what’s going on soon, I’ll post results.

April 20, 2009 at 12:50 am
(7) Donnah Ciempka says:

This is freaky – you guys are describing me at the moment. I have a Mireana in and I am not suppose to bleed at all. I would love to know who else is going through this? I had a pap smear 6 months aga – all clear but now lots of nausea, back and thigh pain and heavy dark odoursome bleeding

June 9, 2009 at 10:20 am
(8) jodi says:

So, apparantly, I have the same exact problem! I had my period for a week, (my normal cycle), it subsided, and then i got really bad back pains to where I couldn’t pick up things and then I got my period again… One week later.. And now two weeks later, I still have my period.. No more back pains.. but I feel like I’m dying because it’s never going away.. Hopefully someone is going to come back and say what they found out.. This is odd!

October 1, 2009 at 1:41 pm
(9) lisa says:

you need to figure out some way to go to her supervisor or the medical board on that. She can’t really do that, I have been going through that since May and I am having surgery, even though they couldnt really tell me what was happening, I have the same symptons as you do. They tested for everything under the moon.. See if you can get the health clinic to help you or you just might have to go and pay for a doctor yourself. They are expensive at times but just a visit shouldnt be more than 100.

August 5, 2010 at 6:05 am
(10) cocoflex says:

hello ladies
sounds like you all have a case of urinary tract infection and a serious one. Hopefully all of you went 2 a doctor cause if untreated it will get serious like deadly serious! ur welcome!