1. Health

Sleep Impossible When Legs Jerk All Night

By October 9, 2008

I didn't sleep much last night. I tried for hours and finally gave up. The problem was that every time I tried to lay down and sleep, my legs started jerking and kicking. And the feeling in my legs was like bugs crawling all over them, inside and out. Has this ever happened to you? If it has, you, like me, may have a neurological disorder called restless legs syndrome or RLS.
Comments
October 9, 2008 at 6:25 pm
(1) Catherine says:

I have restless legs syndrome too and before I found out what it was, it drove me crazy at night. No matter how sleepy I was, I could’nt get comforatable. It felt as though my legs were running a marathon and my body was exhausted, but my legs keep going. My legs did’nt actually move, they just felt as if they were twitching all night. I also, at times, felt as if bugs were on my legs. I would wake my husband up at night because it almost felt better to hang my leg over the bed and shake it a little. Kind of like a rocking motion. There is a medication out there to help RLS, but it hasn’t helped me much.

October 10, 2008 at 1:27 am
(2) The real truth says:

I think you will find that the safest and most effective for this problem is marijuana. I assure you it will help this and many other problems. It is so sad that people think weed is actually bad for you when it is so so good for you.
Don’t believe me? Just try it. You’ll like it.

October 10, 2008 at 10:08 am
(3) Rita says:

My comment is to the person who is recommending marijuana, why are you sending your response at 1 am? apparently the pot is not working for you! Marijuana is harmful. Why not recommend something like melatonin? It helps me. Good luck. And don’t get me wrong, I spent many years on marijauna, I was a burned out soul and much prefer a motivated lifestyle. Exercise can be very helpful also.

October 10, 2008 at 12:01 pm
(4) Donna says:

After I prayed about my situtation, God showed me that I needed to cut my caffine intake and begain exercising. Now I exercise every morning and I only have 1 cup of coffee in the morning only and now I sleep soundly every night.

October 12, 2008 at 3:32 pm
(5) Mag says:

How dose when a women know, if she has an yeast infection?

October 12, 2008 at 7:37 pm
(6) dianna says:

I suffered from RLS long before the new meds came out, and I finally found, through my doc and some research, that it is related to anemia! Weird, but when I take 325mg of iron, daily, I do not have RLS, but if I go without my iron for any length of time, I deal with the jerking syndrome again. I am, by no means, a health freak, but this iron thing really works. Give it a week to work–it may happen sooner, though. Be consistant, though….I hate it when I have symptoms after enjoying life “jerk-free.”

October 22, 2008 at 4:12 am
(7) rina says:

To all sufferers of RSL,try hot water bag. I am a health freak and I tried many conventional and altetnative treatment but to no avail. But when I tried the hot water bag, I slept better. After a few weeks of using hot water bag every night, I began to use it every other night. Now I only use it once a week, sometimes once every two weeks.

October 22, 2008 at 4:07 pm
(8) Racehoney says:

I too have had restless leg syndrome for almost 20 years. I first noticed it when I was pregnant with my son. I thought it was from the extra weight that I had gained. But after I had my son, my symptoms never went away. I have spent so many nights awake, rubbing my legs and stretching trying to get some releif. Finally they came out with Requip. They started me on a low dose, but I am now taking 2mg at bedtime and it helps. Smoking pot does not help RLS. There are a lot of things to try, a bar of soap under your sheets at the foot of your bed, walking/exercise, limited caffiene. The Requip works for me although it didn’t until they found the right dosage.

October 22, 2008 at 8:49 pm
(9) Susan says:

I have had RLS for years, since I was pregnant. I too, thought it was from the weight gain, but it never went away. That was 19 yrs. ago. I am currently taking Mirapex, and it works. I find if I miss one dose at bed I’m up in the middle of the night wanting to run a marathon (my legs, not the rest of me!). It works for me! I also find if I’m over-tired my legs seem to go crazy. I don’t smoke pot and don’t think I’ll use RLS as an excuse to start.

October 29, 2008 at 9:20 am
(10) k says:

raise the head of your bed 2 inches

November 20, 2008 at 9:44 am
(11) Sebrina says:

I too was having restless legs at night or when I tried to relax. I went for years with this condition and literally had to take over the counter sleeping pills to become tired enough to get to sleep. Just by accident, I found out my iron level was two points away from me needing a blood transfusion due to very heavy periods. My doctor then put me on two iron pills per day and the restless legs stopped! To any woman with restless legs, I recommend asking your doctor to check your iron levels and your B12 levels. A B12 difficiency causes restless leg syndrome and can eventually cause nerve damage and all it might take to be rid of the annoying symptoms is iron tablets or vitamin B12 shots! Check it out, you will be glad you did.

January 22, 2009 at 5:00 pm
(12) johnathan mda says:

I have tried crystal meth for now 5 months and my rls is totally gone

June 3, 2009 at 7:15 am
(13) s says:

LMAO!!

July 18, 2009 at 4:35 pm
(14) girl pee fetish says:

nice! i’m gonna make my own journal

August 12, 2009 at 10:15 am
(15) Janice says:

I have RLS and it only flares when my iron is low.

September 13, 2009 at 9:18 pm
(16) Robert says:

For me it’s related to my sugar intake, but coffee seems to make it worse. I deal with my RLS by making sure I don’t drink coffee after 10, no sugar after 2:00PM or so (sugar meaning high glycemic foods, white flower, white potatoes, white rice, white sugar, you get the picture, anything white).

Sometimes I slip up and drink coffee late or have sugar, the things that work for me are:

* Marijuana – somewhat, not all the way.
* Hot Bath – Works great!
* Stretching my legs – works ok.
* Sex – If I climax (either on my own or with help) before attempting to sleep I can usually fall right to sleep.

I hope this helps.

December 26, 2009 at 4:14 am
(17) Broc says:

To poster #2, you are spot-on. To #3, Rita, I’m sorry you got “burned out” (whatever that means) but marijuana is completely, 100% non-toxic and works great for muscle spasms and, like #2 said, a host of other ailments. No one in history has ever died from pot. Cannabinoids are very healing to the body. Your own brain produces an analog called anandamide (Google it) that it uses for quite a few biological processes. Including quieting the nervous system. If you want HARMFUL, try a prescription drug such as Requip. It can cause major personality changes including lust for alcohol (as with antidepressants) and compulsive behavior because of its manipulation of serotonin. My bottom-line advice? At least try a small amount of cannabis before bed. Stops my muscle jerking (CAUSED by an antidepressant) and gives me an entire night of blissful uninteruppted sleep. If you are inexperienced with pot, take a very small puff to begin with to judge how the drug affects you. The biggest mistake “newbies” do is have too much and if you’re not familiar with its effects it can be a little disconcerting. But I guarantee you’ll wake up quite refreshed with absolutely no after-effects.

December 26, 2009 at 4:27 am
(18) Broc says:

BTW, to #12, your RLS is probably gone because the meth has caused your leg muscles to waste away to the point that you have nothing left to twitch. Not to mention those always-attractive translucent rotting teeth. LOL Nasty stuff.

December 29, 2009 at 5:21 pm
(19) tom says:

hey “broc”
you say try it before bed, and get an entire nights sleep, then what the hell are you doing up 4:14am, I guess you had to get up to read the post instead of sleeping (LOL)

February 16, 2010 at 11:57 pm
(20) frank says:

i too have used marijuana for my RLS and it has done wonders. i was on some other prescription drugs that didnt work to well and there were some side effects such as migranes. marijuana is the only drug so far to completely relieve my pains and put me right to sleep. i used to be extremely tired and unproductive all day due to my lack of sleep, this put me into a slight state of depression. im not saying its everyones best choice, but it really has saved my life, 2 hits from a bong is all i need and im out for the night. if you cant seem to find any drugs that work for you, i highly recommend talking to your doctor about cannabis. off to bed! ;)

March 5, 2010 at 9:19 am
(21) Laura says:

Hasn’t anyone heard the old saying “Don’t knock it until you try it. Well people maybe you should try marijuana before you leave a stupid comment. Marijuana has been proven over and over again to help certain illnesses. This is a fact. It has been proven by doctors to work. And to all the stupid comments about being up at 1 am or 4 am, maybe that work nights!! LOL….maybe they are parents and the only time they get any peace is in the middle of the night!!! Just because they are up does ‘nt mean that pot doesn’t work! I thought only adults could leave comments on these sites. Some sound like immat

May 7, 2010 at 1:29 am
(22) Steve says:

I tried Reqiup, and that didn’t work, so I tried Mirapex. The Mirapex worked, but casused depression and subtle mood changes. After 6 months on Mirapex i had changed. I was moody and short. I am so much happier after getting off Mirapex. Stay away from it.
I started smoking marijuana on a slim chance it could help me RLS. Since I stopped Mirapex I couldn’t sleep at all. Smoking just a bit before bed has saved me and really works.

August 10, 2010 at 12:06 am
(23) Charles says:

I suffer from both sleep apnea and RLS. I stay up until 4-5 a.m. I dread going to bed. My RLS is all over my body, not just the legs. I took requip , but now am taking ropinirole, supposedly safer. I’d rather have a broken leg because it doesn’t bother you as long as you don’t walk on it. RLS, in comparison, is not painful but very annoying. Some say it feels like bugs crawling all over you. If RLS is a condition that warrants marijuana, why not use it. I was just wondering if there is a list of approved ailments.

December 14, 2010 at 12:06 pm
(24) John says:

I’m also suffering from RLS, as well as sleep apnea. I was put on Mirapex but the side effects were so extreme (hallucination, disorientation) that I stooped taking it after a month. Requip and Mirapex are serious meds which interfere with your brain chemistry much more than THC, the active ingredient in Marijuana. I started smoking Marijuana before bed and it instantly relieved my RLS. It has no side effects, apart from giving me the giggles, depending on the strain. However, I prefer that over the bad trips I got from the Mirapex.
Don’t believe all the uninformed negative press Marijuana gets. It’s not the substance but the abusive use of it that is dangerous.
THC has been proven to relief the symptoms of many diseases such as AIDS, multiple sclerosis, cancer to name but a few. You don’t even need to smoke it, you can also brew it up as a tea or add it to your food.

March 2, 2011 at 9:06 am
(25) Joe D says:

I have suffered with restless leg/ periodic limb movement disorder for years. I am 36 and have tried everything including marijuana I got from my niece. My legs jerk all night and all day, even if I take pain killers. Only one thing works for me “Mirapex” 1.0 mill..I can even get away with taking a half of the pill sometimes. It completely wipes the jerking of my legs, and the creepy crawly sensation.

Believe me, I have tried everything, and for me mirapex is a life saving drug for this condition. I would do without food, anything before i will do without my mirapex.

April 20, 2011 at 2:07 pm
(26) tiredofrls says:

For those who say that they tried MJ and it doesn’t work…you never said what strain you used. There was a discussion on another RLS site where it was pointed out that while Sativa lessened or eliminated RLS symptoms, Kush made actually made them worse. I haven’t used mj although I would like to try it. Now I am using aspirin even though I’m on blood thinners and mixing NSAIDs w/ Coumadin is dangerous. But the government is okay with this mix even though mj is not close to being so immediately dangerous.

June 15, 2011 at 8:54 pm
(27) Desperate says:

At night when I go to lay down I just feel this uncontrolable urdge to moves my legs. I can’t help it there is like this pulling in my stomache and I just have to move my legs. I am currently pregnant and at about my 5th month it has gotten unberable. My doctor really won’t give me any help, it has affectd my job. I work in a factory and have been up all night and am affraid I’m going to hurt myself if I go in. I never have the problem in the day I could sleep all day with no issues, but a soon as night hits and I lay down within minutes it has started. It has came and gone while in my 20′s but it’s a issue every night since the 5th month of my pregnancy. The only way I can get any relief and sleep is to take a painkiller. And I feel terribly guilty for it because I’m pregnant. I have to sleep I have to work. I’m totally depressed and cry all the time over this problem. I’ve decided not to ever have anymore kids all because of this.