1. Health

What To Know About Vaginal Douches

By October 20, 2009

A vaginal douche is a process of rinsing or cleaning the vagina by forcing water or another solution into the vaginal cavity to flush away vaginal discharge or other contents. Vaginal douches are available over-the-counter and are made in a variety of fragrances by several manufacturers; they are also available by prescription to treat certain conditions or prepare for certain procedures. Are vaginal douches a good thing?

Comments
November 1, 2009 at 9:21 am
(1) Megan says:

Excellent post, thanks!

November 1, 2009 at 5:47 pm
(2) Terri says:

I have to comment about vaginal douching. From a medical perspective, I can’t think of too many reasons a woman should ever douche. As an OB/GYN nurse practitioner, douching washes away the “good” bacteria, leading to an overgrowth of ‘other’ bacteria. Many times, this will result in a condition of the vagina called Bacterial vaginosis…causes a vaginal discharge with odor, particularly about the time of menses and intercourse.
Women are self-cleaning…we do not need to douche.

November 3, 2009 at 12:33 pm
(3) ogechi says:

I think it’s important for a woman to douche in other to remain clean and fresh. Women have very sensitive skin which easily gets irritated and douching with ‘water’ is one of the best ways to stay clean, leaving you with an odorless vaginal.

November 3, 2009 at 12:47 pm
(4) Lisa says:

I totally agree with Terri – women are designed to be self-cleaning …down there. I have lived on and off with
yeast infections and Candida troubles for years and learned the hard way that douching as a cleaning method does more harm than good. Especially, the drug store perfumed ones.

November 10, 2009 at 5:01 pm
(5) lucy says:

i totally agree with terri,i dnt like douching it causes more harm than good.i had a bad experience i will advise other women to stop douching.

January 6, 2010 at 11:15 am
(6) dylan ricks says:

I like the idea of fragrences =] Sounds hot. I want one that smells like cherries. *(^_^)*

March 16, 2010 at 12:10 am
(7) Sheree Brown says:

It is true that our bodies cleanse itself, but it is nothing wrong with douching occassionally. Douching on a regular is what can become a problem. Using the fragrant kind is not a good idea. If that is the case you may as well squirt soap and water inside your vagina. I have had bad experiences with the fragrant douche. It causes me to get yeast infections whenever I used them. Anything with too much of an fragrant can cause yeast infection, and that includes bar soaps. Shower gels, powders, and fragrant douches. If you are going to douche I advised you to use a mild fragrantless douche the vinegar and water, but only when really needed. Like for instance, after having sex, and sometimes after periods, but never too often. Remember, our vaginas are sensitive so always use mild products when caring for ourselves. Always use mild original bar soaps (dove, caress, ivory), mild fragrantless douche (water, vinegar & water). Never sprinkle powders and spray perfumes in the seating of your underwear because it will cause an yeast infection, vaginal bacteria infection and other infections. Last but not least, never where your underwear or pants so tight that you can’t air out that also can lead to infections and odors. I hope my comment helped a lot of you.

May 22, 2010 at 3:31 am
(8) Yonimassagewala says:

I am a massage therapist with specialization in Yonipulation ( i.e. manipulation of Yoni in harmony with Chakra energies & Marma Vayus )for my female clients.
I find vaginal douche very much relaxing for my client. I add a few drops of Crab Apple ( Flower remedy ) in the douche solution, and also give it orally through any natural drink such as fruit juice etc. And I find this very much beneficial!