1. Health

7 Year Old Girls Hitting Early Puberty

By August 12, 2010

According to a study published in the current issue of the Journal of Pediatrics, US girls as young as 7 years old are hitting puberty .

The researchers, who used 1239 girls from across the US, defined the onset of puberty as stage 2 breast development. While the number of girls who had attained this stage of breast development, the number varied by age and race/ethnicity. For example 10.4% of white girls, 23.4% of black non-Hispanic girls, and 14.9% of Hispanic girls had sufficient breast development at age 7 to be considered pubertal. Girls who were 8 at the time of the study had significantly higher breast development with 18.3% of white girls, 42.9% of black non-Hispanic girls, and 30.9% of Hispanic girls meeting the criteria.

Since this was a multimeter study throughout the US, it's important to note that these numbers were substantially the same across sites. This study shows that puberty is ocuring at much earlier ages than just 10 to 30 years ago -- this was particularly true of white girls.

See also: Puberty Basics

I can't imagine having a daughter who encounters puberty at such a young age, can you? What do you think about this study? Did you or your daughter experience early puberty? How did you handle it? Leave you comments!

Readers Share First Period Stories

Comments
August 12, 2010 at 8:56 pm
(1) Natalie says:

My name is Natalie, i am a Nutrition and Fitness Consultant and i must say yes i am currently experiencing this early puberty with my now 8yrs old daughter. This as been the case with her since she turned 6yrs old, i started noticing a body odor that was a total shock to me. After my second experience with her i took her to see the pediatrician, who then recommended that i took her to a specialist, who in turn recommended hormone treatment. i was even in more shock. Being in the business of nutrition i started out researching the everyday she was eating and finally discovered the foods that was creating a hormonal imbalance, when consume in excess simulates a certain hormonal gland to produce more than it should. These are the listed of foods that was affecting my daughter mainly; eggs, cheese, fast foods such as burgers, fries, pizza, process foods such as cream cheese, can meats, deli meats. Chicken and especially milk. I now have my child drink plenty of water, eat and drink more organic fruits and vegetables, increase activities, bake or steamed her foods – No fry foods, no soda, no artificial sweeteners and more home cook meals. And most importantly, educate her about her situations. i also discovered through my company an all natural organic supplements that are designed to provide the body with its daily dosage of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, which i can attested help us significantly. Work great for both adult and children. If you wish to seek more knowledge to better help your child, feel free to contact me @ 954-336-3373 or via email: mz.cokes4@yahoo.com for further information on this life changing products and advice.

August 18, 2010 at 2:52 pm
(2) BettyB says:

ANYONE WANTING TO LEARN MORE ABOUT WHY OUR CHILDREN ARE OVER-DEVELOPING IN OUR COUNTRY CAN READ ABOUT GROWTH HORMONES ADDED TO OUR LIVESTOCKS FEED.

GROWTH HORMONES INCREASES THE GROWTH RATE SO THAT OUR CHICKENS, PIGS AND BEEF, CAN ALL BE BUTCHERED AND PLACED ON THE DINNER TABLE IN A SHORTER TIME THAN IT WOULD TAKE IF THEY WERE NOT USED AT ALL.

ITS TIME TO STOP THIS PROBLEM ONCE AND FOR ALL AND GET BACK TO ALLOWING OUR CHILDREN TO BE CHILDREN.

BY CHOOSING ONLY ORGANIC, STEROID AND ANTIBIOTIC FREE MEATS, WE CAN ALL GET OUR MESSAGE ACCROSS THE GLOBE…..

AND OH, BY THE WAY, OTHER COUNTRIES CHILDREN LOOK LIKE CHILDREN SHOULD LOOK, WELL INTO THEIR TEENS..
INQUISITIV1

October 22, 2010 at 12:42 pm
(3) sista says:

the dr. said my 7 yr old was in tanner 1 stage of development and that the flesh on her chest that her older sister and i were calling fat, was infact breast, i frowned, she smiled (my 7year) and couldnt wait to get home and inform her older sister that the dr said she got titi’s. a friend told me to give her whole brocholi suplements from the health store. so im going to try to see if it will help with delaying the onset of her menses

October 25, 2010 at 10:18 pm
(4) Mother2 says:

My daughter was 10 when she started mensturating. I am worried that because our daughters are developing at such and early age that they will hit menopause alot earlier than they should.

October 25, 2010 at 10:57 pm
(5) C B says:

Everything our children eat and drink can cause horomonal imbalances if they are not monitered closely. Even what a woman eats and drinks during pregnancy can aid in a child developing cancer. I strongly suggest that all people..men, women and children follow the diet God designed for the human body in Gen. 1:29. For more information go to: http://www.hacres.com.

November 6, 2010 at 2:15 am
(6) Petra says:

I’m 4 months short of my 50th birthday. I began menstruating when I was 8 years old. I went into full menopause at age 43. Yes, for me it’s true. Early menstruation equals early menopause…and it’s not been pleasant nor easy to deal with.

March 4, 2011 at 2:37 pm
(7) melpo says:

I can’t believe the misinformation and unsubstantiated claims being made in the comments.

Natalie – you post is just an ad for some snake oil you’re selling. If you really are a nutrition and fitness consultant I’m pretty sure you would have been watching your child’s diet in the first place.

Bettie B – take your ALLCAPs and do some valid research before pronouncing your hypthosis as a fact.

CB.- read a book other than the bible. I’m pretty sure whatever archaic HUMAN who wrote it had no concept of our modern day society – and probably never saw a piece of broccoli in their life.

Sista – do some research on the scientific benefits of broccoli. You might find it does nothing other than benefit your diet.

Petra – you’re the only one who has added to this dialogue. I’m genuinely interested in finding out more about the correlation between early onset puberty and menopause.

April 21, 2011 at 3:00 pm
(8) Rebecca says:

I started developing breasts at the age of seven. During my 8th year I had underarm hair, pubic hair and my period. When I was 9 I was experiencing bad body odor. I was made fun of so bad, not only by other children but by ADULTS. My teachers would take me out in the hall and tell me to give them the tissue I was stuffing my Moms bra’s with. When I needed to go to the restroom to change my napkin my teachers would tell me to quit lying. Other parents, especially religious families would not allow me to play with their children. I was told I was “going to hell”. My Mom NEVER gave me any support. She would just get angry with me for being “too sensitive” and tell me she went through it too. By middle school I had an eating disorder. I suffered with severe depression up until a year ago (now 22). I still have social problems. I am very short. Now I dont have a menstral cycle as I have been diagnosed with something called PCOS.

November 5, 2011 at 7:21 pm
(9) a3924387 says:

I’ve said that least 3924387 times. The problem this like that is they are just too compilcated for the average bird, if you know what I mean

November 25, 2011 at 6:50 am
(10) KC says:

My Daughter of 8 is getting breast buds and pubic hair.
I’m shocked because I was a late bloomer.
She eats the healthiest diet filled with veggies , meat , chicken
, fruits and nothing processed. So not
100% sure it’s processed food related, however
I do suspect growth hormones in mFfeat/chicken and fruits.
Have u seen the size of strawberries these days!!!
I’m going to a pediatric endo to find out why and if
I shpuld try slow it down ?
Heard there are drugs they can get , but stunt growth
too.
She is just a baby still :-(