One-third of all women will be diagnosed with fibrocystic breasts at some point. Fibrocystic breasts is a benign condition which should not be confused with breast cancer. Discover self-help tips to relieve painful breasts.
Time Required: 15 minutes
- Eliminate all forms of caffeine containing foods from your diet. This includes foods such as chocolate, sodas, coffee and tea. Reducing sugar may also help reduce overall symptoms.
- Decrease sources of estrogen from your diet such as commercially raised meats which contain excessive amounts of hormones, and pharmaceutical sources of estrogen such as birth control pills and HRT.
- Natural progesterone cream applied at a dose of 15 to 20 mg per day from ovulation until a day or two before your period returns usually results in normal breast tissue in three to four months.
- Vitamin E, in doses ranging from 400 IU to 600 IU per day, may reduce symptoms associated with fibrocystic breast changes. Other vitamin suggestions include Vitamin B6, a B complex, and magnesium.
- See your physician if these self-help tips do not reduce your symptoms, or if you have any questions or concerns about fibrocystic breasts.
- If you use natural progesterone, once you have achieved relief of symptoms gradually taper your dose until you find your lowest effective dose.
- Wearing a good support bra during painful times is helpful for many women. Visit a local department store with a bra-fitting specialist for a proper fit.