More than 60 million American adults experience GERD and heartburn or acid indigestion at least once a month, and about 25 million adults suffer daily from heartburn.
Time Required: 5 minutes
- Avoid foods and beverages that affect LES pressure or irritate the esophagus lining, including fried and fatty foods, peppermint, chocolate, alcohol, coffee, citrus fruit and juices, and tomato products.
- Lose weight if overweight.
- Stop smoking.
- Elevate the head of your bed 6 inches.
- Avoid lying down 2 to 3 hours after eating.
- Take an over-the-counter antacid. If that doesn't help, ask your doctor for a prescription product such as Nexium.