- Gallstones affect approximately one in ten Americans, and are associated with approximately 3,000 deaths annually.
- More than 800,000 hospitalizations each year are caused by gallstones that are large enough to cause significant pain.
- Over 500,000 people undergo surgery for gallstones annually.
- Obesity is one of the strongest risk factors for gallstones.
- Rapid weight loss diets significantly increase the risk for gallstones.
Gallbladder Disease. MedlinePlus. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001138.htm. Accessed 08/26/09.
Have Been Diagnosed With Gallbladder Disease?