1. Health

What Type Of Doctors Diagnose And Treat Urinary Incontinence?


Updated June 18, 2014

Written or reviewed by a board-certified physician. See About.com's Medical Review Board.

Question: What Type Of Doctors Diagnose And Treat Urinary Incontinence?
Several types of doctors can diagnose and provide treatment for urinary incontinence. Of course, you'll want to choose a doctor who has experience diagnosing and treating urinary incontinence.
Answer: Types of doctors who diagnose and treat urinary incontinence include:
  • Urologists have extensive training in the urinary tract.

  • Urogynecologists have received specialized training in the female urinary system, as well as related pelvic conditions in women.

  • OB/GYNs focus on diseases and conditions of the female reproductive system, as well as taking care of pregnant women from conception to after delivery.

  • Family Practice physicians and Internal Medicine doctors treat many different kinds of diseases and conditions, including urinary incontinence.

You may also receive care for urinary incontinence from nurses and other health care providers who frequently treat patients who need rehabilitation services, or who teach patients skills such as fluid management and exercises that can strengthen pelvic floor muscles.


Urinary Incontinence In Women. NIDDK / NIH. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/uiwomen/ Accessed 05/13/10.

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.

We comply with the HONcode standard
for trustworthy health
information: verify here.