Before writing this, I tried it on myself with great results. However, if you decide to color your gray pubic hair, understand this is not recommended by health care professionals. Skin irritation, infections, or other problems can occur.
- Visit your favorite hair or beauty supply store or drug store and buy the hair color product that most represents the natural color of your pubic hair.
- Pubic hair color is often a darker shade than the hair on your head. Choose hair color that is a shade darker than you would choose for your head for best results.
- Even if you already use hair color products, be sure to perform a skin patch test to check for allergic reactions. Follow the instructions for the test provided with your hair color product. Only after you have preformed your skin patch test, are you ready to begin the process of dyeing your pubic hairs.
- Use a small amount of petroleum jelly to cover the inner skin of your genitals. Be sure to coat all sensitve areas to help prevent potential skin irritation in case any of the hair color accidently spills. Don't apply petroleum jelly on the grey pubic hairs that you want to dye.
- Read all instructions before using your hair color product.
- Put on the gloves provided with your hair color product.
- Mix hair color according to directions on the instruction sheet.
- To your mixed hair color, add an equal amount of your favorite moisturizing shampoo.
- Stir hair color and shampoo together until completely mixed.
- Gently and generously apply hair color to gray pubic hairs. Make sure to cover all pubic hairs. If your hair color product came with a brush use the brush for application or buy one at your local beauty supply. Don't rub hair color mixture into your skin. And don't allow any excess hair color to seep into the sensitive inner genital areas where you applied the petroleum jelly.
- Leave hair color mixture on from 10 to 30 minutes. The first time you dye your grey pubic hair, start with the lower end (10 to 20 minutes) of the suggested waiting time.
- If you don't achieve the hair color that you are trying to obtain the first time, try again. You should wait at least a week between attempts to make sure that you do not have any skin irritations, or infections. Next time you try coloring your gray pubic hair, wait 5 to 10 minutes longer before washing hair color from pubic hair.
- This hair color procedure may also be used on men's chest hair, pubic hair, or any other body hair on either men or women. Never attempt to use this method for eyebrows or eyelashes. If you want to color your eyebrows or eyelashes a professional and experienced cosmetologist is able to color these areas.
- A root touch-up kit provides just the right amount of hair color and usually comes with an applicator brush that makes application of the hair color to your pubic hairs not only easier, but less likely to seep into sensitive genital areas.
- You must perform a skin patch test, prior to attempting to dye pubic hair. This is particulary important before coloring pubic hair. It will be far less painful to experience skin irritation on your inner arm than it would be to experience genital irritation.
- A quick and easy way to wash hair color from your pubic hair is in a warm shower using a hand held shower head, if available. Once the hair color is washed out, use soap and a washcloth or net sponge to remove petroleum jelly.
- Sea Breeze astringent applied with cotton balls is an easy way to remove hair color from skin.
- Disclaimer: Do-it-yourself pubic hair coloring is never recommended by medical professionals. If you choose the do-it-yourself method for pubic hair coloring described on this page, you do so at your own risk. Skin irritations, infections, and other health complications can occur. The safest way to dye gray pubic hair is at a hair salon that offers this type of service. Call your salon, or check around at others to find a professional who is experienced in pubic hair coloring.
What You Need
- Petroleum jelly
- Hair color product
- Hair color applicator brush, if not included with your hair color product
- Moisturizing shampoo
- Towels, washcloths, sponge net
- Sea Breeze
- Cotton balls